We are looking for an experienced back-end developer to work with our client’s e-commerce business. The ideal candidate would have experience working with large Python codebases. We are looking for someone who is self-motivated and is able to work with a team early on in a project, plan and identify requirements, see a project through to completion, and mentor junior members of the team along the way.
We’re an agency of makers with deep expertise in solving creative and
technology challenges. Our focus is on making better work to help brands work better. From branding & design, to software builds, large-scale ecommerce or anything in between, thelab mixes inspiration and hard work to produce results that mean business. Oh, and we host a mean barbecue too.
We will be
An awesome place for you to grow and learn. We stay open-minded about ideas and make sure our technology is always up-to-date, because we believe the best work gets made when we evolve our skills together. thelab is large enough to get an amazing variety of work, but small enough to stay flexible and work with smaller brands and startups too—we even have a few products of our own. You’ll work on a lot of different kinds of projects, and you’ll do it with reasonable timelines, surrounded by an inclusive community who wants to see you succeed (no brogrammers, please!). And you’ll generally finish your day with plenty of time left over to meet your friends for a drink—or grab one with your new team.
What our interview process looks like:
- We’ll schedule an initial phone interview so we can get to know you, answer any questions you may have, and see if we might be a good fit for you and vice versa.
- From there, we’d want to bring you in for a second-round interview and would email you details about a general architectural problem beforehand.
- At the second round interview, we’re looking to understand your thinking process—not your knowledge of algorithms. That’s why we won’t be asking you to do whiteboard problems, but instead, we’ll ask you to explain your high-level approach to the architectural problem we shared, articulating it to both an experienced and junior dev.
- A team player who thrives in a collaborative environment—no lone wolf mentalities!
- Experienced in leading teams and mentoring people
- Not afraid to fail and always looking to learn from those failures
- Able to understand different approaches and comfortable learning/using both newer and older tech when it’s a better fit
- Develop server-side functionality in Python
- Deploy and manage web services using Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Terraform, and Ansible
- Manage multiple projects and deliverables occurring concurrently during a sprint
- Implementation of backend functionality on Django e-commerce websites as well as a few microservices in Django, Flask, and Node
- Comfortable supporting frontend team. Not afraid to get involved with Typescript when needed.
- Comfortable sharing code between projects with open source and private modules
- Able to manage multiple projects and deliverables occurring concurrently during a sprint
- Experienced in best practices like git-flow and test-driven development
- Looking to work on a diverse team because you enjoy hearing different opinions and ideas
Nice to haves (Not required)
- Experience working in open source community and contributing changes
- Experience in e-commerce
Django, Python, Node, Docker, Kubernetes, Linux